Wednesday 26 April 2023

Authority - Beautiful Conversation of Dr M Javed Ahmed

 This prayer, it's for people who have fallen, stumbled . It's not for people who are 'good' People who have never made a mistake, never wronged anyone, they don't need it . Why would they need this prayer, this yearning? No, it's for people like me, people who have made mistakes, committed excesses, wronged themselves and others. It's for people like us that the Lord is mercy. It's just a question of presenting yourself to him And saying oh Lord, I’ve messed up Even if you haven't, just pretend Even if you have nothing to feel sorry for, say it anyway and see what happens  Guest: Sir, how does one develop the feeling that they've made many mistakes? Why are you so keen on developing this feeling? For that you will first have to make mistakes, do stupid things, and then develop the feeling that you have done something wrong. Why go through that? No, sir… Then? 

 Guest: It's just that as I get older I am starting to feel that I have not done anything good in my life, So you’ve been feeling that you haven’t done anything good at all so far? Then that's the first good thing you have done, having this feeling. You know, you can’t do anything good anyway. Take it from me. All your life you can’t, until your Lord wills that you do.  And when he wills that you do, he will create the circumstances in which you can and will do good He will make sure that you do the good thing that he has willed  and anyway, the first step towards doing good is this very feeling that you've never done anything good. And when you think, gosh, I've never had this feeling before, of doing something worthwhile, then God will say no problem, have the feeling now, start now, do things differently now. And then you will get caught up doing good, like me. And a crowd will start to develop around you But at this point your hands will be tied, the die will be cast. I am good now only because I have to be, not because I feel like it. Wherever I turn to do something bad, someone who knows me will be standing there, saying: Sir, is that you? And I have to deny my intentions straightaway , Sometimes I'm desperate to do foolish things But people are everywhere now, watching me Even when I went to the cinema a few days ago with the youngsters here People there asked me with amazement: Sir, you watch films too? And I had to say no, no, not at all!  People insist on my goodness now. They want to make me into something supernatural. Some sort of big deal . I am not so keen on being the hero they want me to be But people insist I must be They insist on hero-worship . Sometimes there is even the temptation to agree with them. To think, yes, I must be perfect.  In which case, why try to be good in the first place? Guest: Yes, Sir  . All will be well, will it not, by God's grace? Doesn't God continue to have mercy on us? Guest: Yes, if he wills . You don’t doubt his mercy, do you? The mercy that is his very nature. Has there ever been a time he has wronged us?  Who Allah hee nahi ho sakta jo ghalat kar day ga .He wouldn’t be the Lord would he, if he wronged us? No, he is goodness itself. He looks after us always .  So then, knowing this, what do you think, what's in our control? Guest: There are two paths, one right and one wrong, God has told us which is which… But is it not him who gives us the courage to walk one path or the other? Or do you think we choose on our own? Guest: No, God chooses . Yes, exactly . Guest: Sir, it’s just that in my head… You are overthinking things, my friend.  This place that you have come to, we have taken leave of our senses here. People call me the crazy doctor, and it’s a label I am proud of So applying your logic here is futile. This one eye of yours that still sees, save it And don’t worry so much. Tell me, do you believe in the one, omnipotent God? What do you think, does he exist? You know, I cannot stand this small, weak God so many of us have imagined We say he exists but still we doubt his nature. We forget that he is the all and all, that we are because he is.  So tell me again, do you believe in the one, the all-powerful God? Guest: Yes Sir.  Then what’s all this worry about? Do you believe he’s with you? Guest: I do Sir , Then you mustn’t worry.  


                                                            DR. M JAVED AHMED

No comments:

Purpose of Life

 It seems we don’t care about our future generations . Or about the accountability we will have to face with regards to our own lives . If w...